Tuesday, December 1, 2020

TCL Signature 2 Preview - Mesquite

It seems like it's been a long time since J.C. Nekuza drained a tournament ending airmail at TCL's Signature Event in Bryan/College Station. Since then there have been many players stepping up and improving their games with hopes of making similar splashes at this week's Signature Event #2 - Texas ACE Points Series in Mesquite, TX.

Signature Events are big and they always require players to be throwing their very best in order to make the podium and get a snapshot with a hand full of cash! Speaking of cash, this event features a guaranteed $20,000 payout and could have more than 500 players vying for some Benjis and hardware.

Mesquite is known as the Rodeo Capital of Texas and since 1986 when the Mesquite Arena opened, it has been home to the Mesquite Pro Rodeo. In 1998 the facility expanded to include an exhibition hall, convention center and a Hampton Inn. The Convention Center is where the bags will be flying this weekend and this won't be the first time a TCL event will be held here. A season opening Signature Event was held there in 2015 and it is where I played in my very first Signature Event. I played some guy named Reagan Choate and he must have felt bad for me and let me win giving me the opportunity to play Jason Andrews. I knew he was good because he wore a jersey and back then only players who made the Top 60 had jerseys. He beat me but my most vivid memory I have of that match was how bad my hands were shaking as I tried to move the clip. Had to two fist it a few times!! The Convention Center also hosted the TCL Ryder Cup the following January which included several players from all over the country who competed in a Super Division. That was also the Ryder Cup that went into Sudden Death with East Texas and East Dallas battling it out late into the night. Arguably one of the most exciting finishes many had ever seen...and not one video from it!!

This Signature Event will no doubt be loaded with many talented players including the usual top players like Brandon Gregor, Stuart Foster, Daniel Vinson and Grant Upchurch. Other standout players who will be there include Ernest Herrera, Ernest Monarca, Frank Stockton, Matt Longoria, and Christina Espinoza. Folks, I could do this all day...add Bella Surprenant, Shane Creek, Bobby and Braiden Fink to the list of strong players. Not to mention all the young studs like Preston Peacock, Austin McCuistion, Logan Baker, Ryan Ancil, Stephen Furhman, Angel Cruz and Jon White. All of these youngsters have been throwing really well and can't be overlooked. Speaking of players throwing well, Jim Abdella, Justin Fowler, Donnie Greer, Matt Ball, Grant Duffy and Roel Salinas also have been playing well here of late. There are many others that are throwing some serious heat and I'm certain some will make their names known this weekend. I don't know many of the players from West Texas but I have a feeling we all will soon! The Competitive and Social Divisions will have several new up and coming players trying to establish themselves and as was the case in Bryan/College Station, these two Divisions should have a record numbers of players.

It's going to be exciting y'all and certainly not an event you will want to miss out on. I look forward to seeing you all this weekend and I hope you all are safe in your travels. 

Hold on tight and squeeze...my bad, I slipped into Rodeo mode...Throw 'em straight y'all!


No comments:

Post a Comment