Thursday, April 4, 2019

Things I learned in St. Louis

There is a saying..."I never lose. I either win or I learn". Not that I don't mind learning, but I really like winning! This past weekend in St. Louis, I was pretty realistic with my chances of winning which allowed many learning opportunities. Here are a few things I learned.

The nations top players are really good. If you play them and throw 10's, you will lose...slowly. They just seem to put the bag in the hole more often than not.

There are a lot of young players in this sport. I know a large majority of players are younger than me so I may need to explain myself! When I say young, I mean in their 20's...and they all can play...very well! I must mention that the team that won the Pro Doubles just happen to be in their 50's...touche!

The arch in St. Louis is really tall. Busch Stadium is impressive, even when closed. Many of the buildings we saw have a lot of cool architectural design and character... that's a mouth full. Speaking of mouth full, Sauce on the Side serves up some really tasty Calzones. The barbque that we ate was good. Not Texas good, but good. Having a Starbucks less than 100 yards from the venue is awesome, if you like coffee. Some Uber drivers are informative, some are not. Medi, from Frankfurt, may very well be my all time favorite waitress.

I like how Texas Cornhole League separates players by tier ranking. Seeing players throw 12's and 10's on a regular basis is what I expect in the Advanced Division...not the Social Division.

Eddie Grinderslev isn't human. Neither is Ryan Windsor, or any other players at their level. These guys threw so many bags in the hole I nearly fell asleep watching some of their games. Not really but when you see so many bags fall in the hole over and over, it kinda gets a little boring.

Playing cornhole against different players from all over the country is fun. Most of the players I played against were pleasant and the top players that I spoke with were cool. Most were willing to chat and if you didn't already know, Jay Dotson is a hoot.

Not the best idea to watch a 2 hour movie on a 1 hour 20 minute flight. Thanks Todd Bridgeman for the movie suggestion. I. Can't. Get. That. Song. Out. Of. My. Head!!

I learned that TCL has some really fast boards compared to boards we played on in St. Louis. Now I know why we see a lot of the players throwing slick side.

I consider St. Louis a learning experience and I'm not sure what type of grade I earned but I do feel that I did not fail.

Till next time, throw 'em straight y'all!





1 comment:

  1. Well put, definitely a learning experience and played a bunch of really good players. St. Louis didn’t disappoint as we played A LOT of matches with very little down time. Texas was represented well..

    ReplyDelete