Sunday, February 17, 2019

TCL Houston Signature Preview

This past October, Texas Cornhole League and a whole bunch of players loaded up and dropped in on Oklahoma for the first Signature event of the 2018-2019 season. It's hard for me to sometimes say Oklahoma without thinking of the late college football broadcaster Keith Jackson. I can still hear him with his trademark "Whooooa Nellie" phrase. Greatness!

Then in December, one of the largest turnouts of players invaded Tyler, TX for the second Signature event. As a sports fan, I often related Tyler as the home of the "Tyler Rose", the great Earl Campbell. His combination of speed and bruising style of running was like none I had ever seen at that time. His demolishing run right smack through a Ram linebacker is a image I always remember. This tournament was one of TCL's best events as far as the number of participants, venue, and competition. One we may always remember!

This week the TCL will be heading to Houston, Tx for it's third Signature event of the season. In 1965 when I was just a youngster, the famous Houston Astrodome was built. A few years later my family made the trip from Shreveport to see a Astro game there. I can still remember Joe Morgan, Jimmy Wynn, Denis Menke, Jesus Alou and Doug Rader as some of the players I saw that day. To me the whole day was big...the dome seemed huge...the players all seemed big, even though we sat really far away I could tell they were big. And the moment of just being in a atmosphere like that, pretty big for a young fella attending his first MLB game!

With Houston being our nations 4th biggest city, it's only fitting to say that this tourney has the potential to be just as big. The list of players who will be there will be one of TCL's most talented fields. 

Previewing some of the Social players who have stepped up their games recently, It's rather difficult to keep up with all the up and coming players with the major growth this sport has experienced recently. So please understand if I fail to include some of you, I'll get better!

Due to their success at the previous Signature events, many players have moved up and no longer play in the social division. Donnie Greer, David Robinson, Cory Gann, Mark Rubio and Eli Gonzales all who have done well in previous Signature events, are now playing in the Open Division. The list of the players who I think will be competitive in the Social Division in Houston include John Edwards and Tracy Chamberlain who play in the College Station area. Another player from that area, Dakota Crawford who recently won a ACL Regional Singles title will look to contend as well. Others include David Collins from Ft Worth, Gina Pruski from Austin and Brian Probst and Jeremiah Hayes from East Dallas. I'm certain there are others who are capable of making some deep runs through this division and we soon will know who they are! 

Folks, Houston is going to be a good one so go ahead and get your favorite Orville Redenbachers flavor of popcorn ready! My next post will be a preview for the Open Division and I cant wait to put it together!

Till next time, "Throw em straight"!


No comments:

Post a Comment